Self-Organised Learning is a learning methodology which helps learners to take responsibility for their own learning and to learn to learn.
In contrast to the approach to learning of conventional teaching and training, in Self-Organised Learning it is the learner who decides what is to be learnt, how it is to be learnt and whether it has been learnt.
Self-Organised Learning is based on the premises that:
- learning is itself a skill that can be learnt.
- humans are natural learners but that they need learning support to develop their capacity to learn.
- responsibility for learning rests with the learner
- learning is not just the acquisition of knowledge or skills
- learning needs to be relevant to and work for the learner